Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My citizenship


Well...I finally did it! I took the Canadian Citizenship Test early this morning with 44 other people. I had studied for 2 weeks (plus lived here for almost 11 years...you kind of learn things about where you live :)). I am so relieved to have that done. Now in 2-4 months I will get a letter calling me in to take an oath of loyalty to Canada and Queen Elizabeth II.

I quite love Canada. It is interesting. I became an adult here. I became a wife and a mother here. I will always love the land of my birth (and I retain status as an American citizen as well). I will always be proud to have been born an American. It is a wonderful land. Of all the places to be born...I feel truly blessed, especially as I look at my sisters across the world and the privileges and respect I received simply by virtue of birth. There are not many countries that treat women well. I am privileged to be a citizen of two of the best. But I am quite proud to be becoming a Canadian. Now I can participate in voting and many other things. It should make traveling a little less complicated. Now we will all be under the same passport.
For the past 11 years it has been an interesting balance of finding where I belong as a foreigner. In conversation about childhood (with Canadians) I mostly have no idea the bands that they grew upwith, the the political events that shaped their world. I don't remember little things of culture becasue I wasn't here. There have been times when I didn't feel I fit in with Canadians or Americans. I belonged in a place in between. That can be an unsettling experience...I felt that the most when my parents got divorced. It was like I had no home...I was a wanderer, a gypsy of sorts. Perhaps this citizenship makes me feel more rooted. That I belong. I am ready for that. That is one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is that it really doesn't matter much as I am a citizen of another place much more than anywhere on earth. Perhaps in all of this I have realized the value in that. Another point on home...home for me is where my husband and (for now) daughters are. I know this is apart of growing up...moving out of your parent's home in your emotions...not thinking that if something were to happen there is always mom and dad. No, for me, home is my nucleus family now...as it should be.
This experience has given me a sympathy and understanding for immigrants that I would have never had otherwise. Although I am just from the next country over there have been times that I have felt that I might as well be from a country very far away. It is really surprising to find yourself in a cultural gap so close to home...it may, I don't know for sure, even be more shocking than coming from far away because at least then you expect it...you know you are coming to a very different place. Whereas I just thought that we were all North Americans and pretty much the same. What a shock to realize just how different the 2 countries are...OK I've pontificated on this point long enough. Thanks for wandering down that lane with me :).
Have a fantastic day counting the blessings of the land of your birth,
Tama

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tama,
YAYA YOU Did IT! :) Wasn't it easy? I was annoyed at how much I'd over studied. 20 questions, Pbbbtthhhh, let me do all the tests! ;D

The ceremony is so cool. Have you seen one before? I had one friend plus the girls and Tim with me that day and it was really special. Nov. 16th 2006. :D Have a great day.

Vangie ... Beautiful One Blog said...

Congrats Tama!!
so glad you came to celebrate with us. Love you lots my friend!!
Vangie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tama! That's wonderful!