Friday, October 25, 2013

A Word Aptly Spoken

Proverbs 25:11 says "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver."
This has been a verse that I've thought a lot about since I was about 10.  It's gone around and around in my head. This is probably the main thing I have asked God for in my life as far as character...I've asked for wisdom in words.  I've failed over and over and over and over again when I speak to people to boost their souls. I've failed relentlessly in this...giving a word fitly spoken.  But still I desire this.  I desire it strongly.   And I'm beginning to see that God is giving me one of my heart's desires that's for me.  We all have heart's desires for many circumstances and often they are for other people. But this is one of my strongest for me personally.  I am beginning to think it takes time to gain this gift.  It takes life experience so one has the compassion, experience, and wisdom to be able to speak these kinds of life-giving words.  
I think one of our biggest privileges is to be able to cheer each other on.  This week I got to sit down with a friend and we got to chat.  We got to sharpen each other.  It really set me to thinking even more about this.  What do I desire in a conversation?  I desire to walk away from it saying, "my soul was touched. I was sharpened. I was challenged. I was propelled towards Truth. But more than that...did I do that for my friend?  Did I give her just a little bit more courage to face the day?  Did I inspire her?" I often walk into a conversation with that prayer on my heart.  Sometimes I walk away from conversations having succeeded...most of the time I walk away saying "I shouldn't have said this this and this...it did not help my friend." As I have mentioned....I've failed a lot.  But I do have hope that as I keep seeking this it will happen more and more.

No comments: