Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Little Girl or little sex pot

I ran across an article that a friend posted on Facebook that sums up perfectly something Shaun and I have been observing and watching over the last several years.  It has to do with little girls and clothing.  
Here is the link to that article from CNN of all places http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/19/granderson.children.dress/index.html
Here is a link from the American Psychological Association on a study regarding the sexualization of girls: http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/girls/report.aspx
If I could agree 5 billion to infinity percent I would. It's now difficult to find "little girl clothes" you know the innocent sweetness, past size 6. I find it ridiculous. Our daughters DO NOT need to look like tramps to be beautiful little girls. Somewhere along the way we lost sweet and innocent in our vocabulary for our wee daughters and it's showing up in clothing. And along with that point we as mothers don't need to look like tramps to be sexy and attractive either. Just sayin'.
I hope that my daughters, when they are grown, will choose to dress with modesty.  I hope that Shaun and I will have taught them the reason for modesty...that we will have imparted it well enough that they will carry it on in their adult life and pass it on to their children.  
You will never see them looking like tramps while they live under our roof...you will see them looking adorable and in style (as long as it's modest) but NOT tramps. There is a difference. 

No comments: