Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Unforced Rhyths of Grace

Lately, it seems, that God has given our family a season of rest. It's been nice...no scratch that...it's been LOVELY! Last year was a very taxing year for us. No time to stop and think. There was a lot of adjusting going on and sickness. This year...rest. I am extremely thankful. We all needed it. Our souls and body were weary.
It's been interesting because the rest hasn't come in forms that I would have chosen but I think they have been more effective than my chosen route. For example, Shaun lost his job in July and really didn't have work until November. That allowed more family time and a forced slow-down. We had less money so we got creative and in the end spent more time with each other instead of just doing things. When you don't have money it takes out the "stuff" element and forces a personal and creative element. We have gotten to go away a few times on different little trips...not my version of a holiday but they both ended up being much more restful. And another thing I have noticed...when we have relaxed and let God lead we have gotten our prayer of "use me" answered in the rest times as well. I love it.
Ps. 23:1-3 says this, "God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction."
Matthew 11:28-30, "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

No comments: