Saturday, March 10, 2007

Idleness or is it idol-ness


I have not been sleeping well lately...I have been reading the Bible, and although I have been a Christian for a long time and have diligently sought Him all of my life, I feel like when I open the Word of God He shows me so many jewels that I never get very far reading but I get a treasure store. I also have had some heavy things on my heart plus I've listening to these sermons and after they are over, in the evening, I am so fired up and my mind is going FULL STEAM ahead that it takes hours to settle down enough to sleep.

Anyway, if I think about it I'm pretty tired. I can't just take a nap whenever I feel like it with two lovely and very active toddlers. In the latter part of this week I was getting VERY frustrated with my tiredness level and a "need" to do nothing...to be idle...that is not a luxury I have anytime really. Now I know this is not a "need" because when I am diligent to seek God in the mornings and do my devotions He is faithful to give me more than enough energy and joy to not only make it through the day but see the beauty of the day and all my blessings. Anyway, in my "feeling sorry for myself" mode I kept telling myself "oh well I can rest in heaven" to try and cheer myself up to make it through the day...what a strange thing to say ....I mean really. But none the less that was what I was telling myself.

You know God whispered to me in an instant after I said that to myself..., "You were not created for idleness...in heaven you will not be idle. In heaven you will be ruling and reigning with me...but mostly you will be worshipping ME." Not created for idleness...as I sat down to write this in my journal I spelled "idleness" idolness"...it was a simple spelling mistake but I think it was a bit divine because in that one simple mistake God whispered to me again..."When you want to be idle you go back into wanting self-rule. You make yourself an idol" Matthew 6:24 says, "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other..." In the Greek the word idleness is "ataktos" it means disorderly... What made me start to think on this this morning was Shaun read 2Thessalonias 3:6 which says, "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us." Proverbs has a lot to say about idleness. Synonyms are words like sluggard and lazy...(see Proverbs 6:6-11; Proverbs 10:4; Proverbs 10:5; Proverbs 10:26; Proverbs 12:9; Proverbs 12:24; Proverbs 12:27; Proverbs 13:4; Proverbs 14:23 )...all very interesting.
hmmmmm...Tama

No comments: